Braun stands for a new aesthetic beginning more than any other company of post-war Germany. The company’s history reflects both the economic developments of the 20th century as well as major trends in German design. In 1921, almost simultaneously with the first broadcast in Germany, Max Braun founds his business. Taking over in 1951, his sons Erwin and Artur daringly start anew, turning Braun into a trendsetter in design.  Through its collaboration with prominent designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, Hans Gugelot, Otl Aicher and Dieter Rams, Braun effectively becomes “Germany’s business card” in the world. Following the company’s early sale to Gillette in 1967, Dieter Rams succeeds in turning Braun into a brand and the epitome of functionalist design with his design understanding of “less but better”. 100 years after the company’s foundation, the exhibition at the Bröhan-Museum shows all of Braun´s finest designs.

In co-operation with the Braun-Sammlung Ettel.

Prof. Dr. Francois Burkhardt and Dr. Tobias Hoffmann are invited to this discussion round.